Monday, March 15, 2010

Communication

How do you communicate? Really?

Most of us have a dependency on being able to speak and be understood. We'll use gestures and facial expression to emphasize what we are saying. Body language, tone of voice, movement and vocabulary are all important aspects of communication.
For most of us.

I've been fortunate to find a job at a little toy store, which brings in a greater variety of clientele than you might think. Of course, there are babies, children, parents and grand-parents, people who can see, hear and understand (or are begining to understand) English. The most memorable ones do not.

I greeted her as usual: "Hello! Can I help you with anything?"
No response.
In my mind, I automatically thought, 'Snob.' I tried again to make sure.
"Hello?"
She noticed me, and smiled as she held up a small doll, making a pulling gesture at her mouth. 'How much?'
She was deaf.
Through my embarrasingly tiny knowledge of sign language and with the aid of pen and paper, she was able to leave with exactly what she wanted.

Another one comes to mind. A man, who had obviously come off the streets, spent a great deal of time near a display after I directed him there. He had chosen a small black dog, a labrador, and had come to the counter to pay. He never met my eyes as he paid in nickles and dimes. One by one, he dropped them on the counter, giving me exact payment. He was completely blind and able to tell the coins apart by the sound they made on the counter.

I've had a few other encounters: tourists from Asia and Europe with very different ways of communicating through personal space, people who spoke only German, an Italian uncle who I was able to speak to....and of course, babies, who will respond with a smile and gibberish which I'm sure contains the meaning of life.

My question to you is this: what is within each human being that makes it possible to exchange information despite any kind of barrier? What makes this possible?

Let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment