Monday, March 15, 2010

Terrified Forays into Iambic Pentameter

Inspired by The Ode Less Traveled by Stephen Fry. For lack of a better description, it is a how-to book for writing poetry. I’ve learned about enjambments, caesuras, end-stopping and some history as well.

Structure is often seen as restrictive to creativity, blocking out artists from achieving what they truly would like to accomplish. To paraphrase from the book, complete freedom is daunting and too scary to actually create.

The ten syllables per line of iambic pentameter gives you just enough structure to depend on, but frees you to write about anything. Below are the few little lines I have written. Again, as suggested by Mr. Fry, read these out loud, feel the heartbeat of the lines, sink into the ancient structure….

Terrified Forays into Iambic Pentameter:


Never could I share in the delight,
Of music, of complex shapes of light,
When fallen from the favor of your eye.

The darkest step in which I hide my soul,
Screams in protest with every strangers’ tread.
I alone must bruise the shattering wood;
Footfalls drown out stifled cries of agony.

I cannot believe you would leave me here!
Hit on, in a bar, with piss-water beer.

Can you hang on to my keys, just for now?
My hair is a messy, frightful tangle.

You right my wrongs, most beautiful lover.

The Grey Lady haunts her mother’s tower,
A Ravenclaw, never to leave the school.

1 comment:

  1. cool! I like this. I feel like I should try using the iambic pentameter someday...just 'cause maybe if I use it, it'll be easier to read it! Good job, lady!

    ReplyDelete