Friday, May 7, 2010

Female pt. 2

Men, women ... who cares? Oh, Christina!

I am a big magazine fan. Huge. So much so that when I gave them up for Lent (I know, right?), I probably ended up saving about fifty dollars. Because of having to brave the swamp of academia in which we might have to read hefty, often dryish texts, the glossy pages of a magazine are the sweetest brain candy.

Plus, I cut all the pretty pictures out and make things from them. Hee hee.

Anyway, I'm pretty familiar with the landscape of women's magazines. My usual reading roster consists of two versions of Glamour, a Vanity Fair, and of course, Bust.

This month, I was compelled to pick up an Esquire. Okay, so this was mostly because of Christina Hendricks. My Mad Men obsession has officially reached the level of addiction. She graces the cover in all her sexy, redheaded glory, and this one issue happens to be the "Women Issue". Interesting, no?

It was kind of refreshing to see the same efforts made in magazines geared toward both genders. There were a lot of "how to make her happy" kind of articles. Even a map for how to give the perfect back rub, how to buy lingerie (my advice: leave it to us. You'll mess it up unless you really, really know what you're doing), how to slow dance, and *sigh* how to act patient.

What I really liked about this magazine was the bits of it that were unrelated to women. For instance, in the letters to the editor section, they ran a tally for a man who wrote far too many letters. There were columns dedicated to answering any and all questions, including one about diving into a pool of jell-o.

Article-wise, there was a piece on Hillary Clinton that I thought was quite interesting. There was one on Paris Hilton which was written so as to let her own words speak for her. I want to smush her face even more now. I was also really impressed with the piece on Lady GaGa by Brendan Sullivan.

Overall, I was impressed. There were moments when I was reading and I noticed some comments that were sexist, but it made me think: in an equivalent magazine for women, there are similar comments. So, the men are talking about our breast size and if our bums are droopy or not, but women are talking about beer bellies and thinning hair.

Esquire, you've impressed me. I'll look through future issues to see if this one was better because of the theme, but I really did like it. Any friend of Christina Hendricks is a friend of mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment